Model 3: "Butter-soft" Furniture by Fernando Mastrangelo


"Butter-soft" Furniture is designed by Fernando Mastrangelo. His idea is to create a butter smooth furniture using cement. This project is a scaled model of one of his furniture. Below is the real furniture by the artist himself.


Let's start with the process.


I first plotted out the design using AutoCAD software and then print them in A3 paper.




I then traced the design onto a foam core, and then roughly trim them using foam cutter into manageable size and shape.



I then loaded the foam into lathe machine securely and started setting up the machine to carve the foam.




I then carefully carved the foam into desired shape. I started with the bottom part of the model.


After carving out the desired shape, I sanded it roughly.


And then I cut out the unnecessary part using hand saw.


I then proceeded to carve out the top part as well.


And sanded it after I got the desired shape.


I used plaster to apply onto the model to give it a smoother finish.


After I applied the plaster, I waited it to dry and harden, and I sanded it to smooth finishes.

Issue


One issue I encountered in this project, especially after sanding, there were some part that the foam was exposed, due to the insufficient plaster on the model. I then reapplied more plaster on it and sanded it after the plaster dried.


Below are the photos to showcase the model.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Model 2: Bench Stadium by Andrew Crombie

Model 1: Roof of Centre Pompidou-Mertz by Shigeru Ban