Model 1: Roof of Centre Pompidou-Mertz by Shigeru Ban


Structural model of the roof of Centre Pompidou-Mertz

The first model I did is the structural model of the roof of Centre Pompidou-Mertz. Below is a picture of the building in real life. Due to its interesting shape, I have decided to take on the challenge of making its structural model.


Centre Pompidou-Mertz
Image from ArchDaily


Required tools and materials:

1. Balsa wood cut into 1mm thick x 2mm wide stripes
2. Staples
3. Tweezers
4. Cutter
5. Mask
6. Sand paper
7. Cutting matt
8. Foam core
9. Masking tape
10. Super glue

Process
First step is to create the 3D model of its roof shape in order to cut the model with CNC Milling machine. I followed the tutorial on ThinkParametric to create the roof by using Rhino software.


I then exported it into STL file format, as it is required for the CNC milling.




I loaded the file into the computer in the laboratory and started cutting. The estimated time needed to mill the model is around 4 hours.



However, the model moved during milling process due to the reason that I did not attach the foam core securely onto the base.

:(
However it was not only the insecure model, I suspected it had to do with setting in computer as well as the cutting pattern was different from the induction.

For the second time of milling, I was lucky because there was a staff who could operate this machine skillfully. He helped me with the setup in the computer and managed to reduce the milling time to 1 hour.



Roughing process
Finishing process
Vacuuming the debris from the milling

The foam model acts as a base to hold other material in place so they will have this shape for the end product.

After the foam model was done, I cut balsa wood in to 1mm thick and 2mm wide. I chose balsa wood as the main material for the project because of its flexible nature.


After that, the balsa sticks went onto the foam model. I had to bend the balsa wood in order to achieve that contour shape. However some of them are really fragile, so I had to soak them in water to increase it resistance against breaking apart due to bending.


For the second layer of the balsa wood, I used staples to hold it into place.


I tried to remove the balsa wood but it would not even budge due to the staples holding the balsa wood securely with the foam core. So I had to revise my plan by putting super glue at each intersections. After a few hours later, I finally managed to remove the balsa wood from the foam core. However it was still quite rough on the surface due to the super glue sticking onto the foam core, I had to sand the surface the remove the super glue stain.

A few more pictures from different angles







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Model 2: Bench Stadium by Andrew Crombie

Model 3: "Butter-soft" Furniture by Fernando Mastrangelo